Immigration Questions? Talk to a Professional

Read this in: Spanish / Español


Immigration Questions? Talk to a Professional!

Millions of people in this country have questions about immigration. Maybe you have heard new information about immigration law from a friend or family member, or from TV or radio. The truth is that much false information is distributed about immigration laws, especially about who can and cannot get a green card. Before you fill out immigration forms, talk to a licensed immigration attorney or other licensed immigration counselor. Just because someone is a notary public does not mean s/he can legally advise you about immigration or knows anything about immigration law.

If you get bad information from someone claiming to be able to help you, usually for a high price, you will probably spend a lot of money and get nothing in return. But, much worse than that, sending in forms to get your green card when you do not qualify, or trying to become a citizen when you have had certain criminal convictions could cause serious problems for you, even cause you to be deported.

Last year a company in Hillsboro took thousands of dollars from people by misleading them with false information. The company led people to believe that they could get a green card legally if they had children born in this country and had lived here continuously for 10 years. In reality, there are no laws that say this. In the end many people complained to the State Attorney General's office that they had been cheated out of hundreds or, in some cases, thousands of dollars. The company had to pay back $20,000 of the money it wrongfully received.

If you have been cheated out of money by someone without a license who has given you bad immigration advice, you can make a complaint to the State Attorney General's office and they may help you get some or all of your money back. You can call the Attorney General's office directly at the phone number below to get a complaint form. By far the best way to avoid getting cheated by bad immigration advice is to see a licensed immigration professional. Below is a list of a few organizations around the state that have attorneys or licensed immigration counselors who can help you with your immigration needs at a relatively low cost.

To file a consumer complaint with the state:

Attorney General's Office

(Consumer Fraud Section)

Statewide toll free: 1-877-877-9392

Portland: (503) 229-5576

Salem: (503) 378-4320


Immigration Assistance Organizations

Catholic Charities

231 12th Ave. SE

Portland, OR 97214

(503) 231-4866 Ext. 133

Immigration Counseling Service

519 SW Park Avenue, #610

Portland, OR 97205

(503) 221-1689

Non-Profit Legal Services

225 W. Main St.

Medford, OR 97501

(541) 779-7292

Lane County Legal Aid

376 E. 11th Ave.

Eugene, OR 97401

(800) 422-5247 or

(541) 342-6056

PCUN (NW Farmworkers Union; Serves union members only)

300 Young St.

Woodburn, OR 97071

(503) 982-0243

Oregon Law Center (Ontario)

2449 SW 4th Ave. #208

Ontario, OR 97914

1-888-250-9877 or


Hood River Valley Legalization Project

205 Oak St. #15

Hood River, OR 97031

(541) 386-3433


Last Review and Update: Sep 27, 2006
Back to top