Do you Need to Renew Your Green Card?

Read this in: Spanish / Español


Most green cards issued after 1989 have an expiration date on them. You will not be deported because you have an expired green card, but you may have problems using your expired card to apply for a job, get public benefits, or travel outside this country. Generally, if your green card expires while you are working at a job after you have already completed the I-9 form, your employer cannot ask you to fill out the I-9 form again or fire you for having an expired green card.

To renew your card, you need to fill out form I-90. You can get this form by calling the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) at 1-800-870-3676 or on-line at Along with the form, you generally need to include a copy of the front and back of your current green card and a money order for $450. If you cannot pay these fees, you can fill out form 1-912 to request a fee waiver. If your card will expire before you receive your new card, you can make an appointment at the local USCIS office to get a temporary sticker after you file form I-90.

After USCIS receives your form I-90, you will receive an appointment to take your photo and fingerprints. If you have been arrested or convicted of a crime (for example, a crime of domestic violence or child abuse), you should consult with an attorney before filing form I-90.



Last Review and Update: Jul 12, 2011
Back to top